2.01.2013

Ginger Pear Cake



While I was strolling down the aisles gathering the week's groceries I noticed that Bartlett pears were on sale. I happen to love pears and I happen to love cake so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to try out a new recipe that I found a few weeks ago. I can appreciate that these ingredients aren't exactly seasonal in nature, but who cares? Any time can be cake time, right?

Well as it goes, all the pears were eaten before said cake could be baked. But I couldn't get that recipe out of my mind. So the following week I purchased another bag of beautiful, sweet, juicy pears. There may even had been a conversation along the lines of "Dude, step away, those are my cake pears" when someone's hand was about to grab one from the bowl. I meant business.

This recipe was very simple and took very little time to make. My only regret was how short lived it was. Ah, who am I kidding, I loved every last bite...



GINGER PEAR CAKE:

Ingredients
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c sugar
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp fresh ginger - peeled and grated
4 Bartlett pears - cored & sliced lengthwise (I didn't peel mine)
* icing sugar
* semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350'C
- Grease 8in springform pan (I used a 9in cake pan and a 6in cake pan)
- Mix eggs, milk and sugar in a large mixing bowl
- Add flour, baking powder and ginger. Stir well
- Gently fold in pears
- Spoon batter into pan and *top with chocolate chips (optional)
- Bake for 1hr, or until cooked through
- Cool completely and *sprinkle with icing sugar (optional)




No comments:

Post a Comment