11.24.2010

Gingerbread Army

It has been a bitterly cold week so I decided that today was as good as any to continue my holiday baking in the comfort and warmth of my little kitchen. Plus, it was great to enjoy the scent of gingerbread wafting in the air. It was a long process, but in the end, I had a bunch of new friends smiling back at me.



Gingerbread Men:

Ingredients:
1 cup cooking molasses
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or shortening
1 tbsp baking soda dissolved in small amount of water
1 egg beaten
1 tbsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
4 cups flour

Directions:
Heat molasses to boiling point, add sugar. Remove from heat, add shortening and dissolved baking soda, cool. Add egg. Sift dry ingredients and stir in. (add more flour if necessary).  Chill and roll out, cut in desired shapes. Bake at 375'F until golden brown - 10-12 minutes.







Royal Icing:

Ingredients:
3 egg whites
4 cups icing sugar

Directions:
Beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add sugar and stir until completely blended. Add colouring if desired. Icing will cool and harden.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to biting off a few of those heads at Christmas! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete