10.16.2014

A Birth Day

In a few hours, our baby boy turns one. Right now though, he's curled up (almost) sleeping in my arms while I type. His legs are bent at the knees, half resting on my lap half draped over the arm of the rocking chair. I used to be able to cradle him in the crook of one arm but that didn't last for long. He has grown into such a wonderful little boy, our beloved Max.

I remember the days leading up to his birth quite vividly. The leaves were falling, the air was crisp, the seasons were changing, and we were awaiting the change in our own family. What would this new baby be like? Would he look like his big brother, Ben? Would he be loud and demanding or quiet and relaxed? Would he be a good eater, a good sleeper? Would I be able to juggle the demands of raising two little boys? Like many mothers in the final states of pregnancy I was both excited and nervous.

Max's actual birth was a bit more dramatic than anticipated. I haven't written about his birth story yet (probably because I haven't actually fully processed it all, and probably because I haven't made the time!) but all to say he arrived in this world healthy and screaming and squishy and pink. The nurses kept commenting on how big and long he was (8lbs5oz and 21in long). We were positively delighted!

I'm so glad to have experienced this past year getting to know the newest member of our family. He is such a sweet little guy who slid right into our family and made a cozy spot for himself. I've enjoyed watching him grow and learn and develop, leaving a mark on each of our hearts. I've watched Ben turn into the caring and compassionate big brother we hoped he'd become. I've watched my husband's love and pride for his two boys flourish and multiply. I've been pushed and challenged and rewarded in so many ways. It's remarkable to think that all of this was accomplished in just 365 short (and sometimes very long) days.

Mr. Max, the day you were born I grew another heart, one that has filled up and overflowed with love for you. We are so grateful to have you in our lives.

Happy Birthday to our beautiful son, Max.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment