9.12.2011

Lemon Coriander Cake

This cake started out as pork chops. Seriously. I was looking through our spice cabinet trying to decide what sort of seasoning to put on our chops when I pulled out the coriander. Can you put coriander on pork I wondered. So I read the label.

"Ground Coriander Seed has a slight lemon flavour. Rub on beef, chicken, pork, fish and lamb. Excellent in cakes, cookies, gingerbread, biscuits, and apple dishes."

Forget the chops, I'm Making Cake!







I found a basic vanilla cake on 'All Recipes' and made a few modifications*.

Ingredients:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flower
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 - 1 tsp coriander
* 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 'F (175 'C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan. (I used two small 6'' round cake pans)
- In a medium bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla, coriander and lemon zest.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the wet mixture and stir well.
- Add milk and stir until batter is smooth.
- Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 30-40 min in the preheated oven (I baked mine for 27 min).
- Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting. 

Delish!

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I made a layer cake from "scratch". It was a plain butter cake, but it was so delicious! I thought, this isn't even in the same league as the cake mixes I had tried. Trouble is, it's too good! Eating a whole cake is probably not the smartest thing to do. After that I made sure there would be several people to share it with.

    ReplyDelete