6.13.2011

The Last Monday



This week is my last week of work before the big move out east. Although I know rationally in my head that ‘this is it’, I don’t think I’ve quite allowed myself to believe it quite yet.

My morning routine usually consists of me (begrudgingly) getting out of bed, showering, brushing my teeth, washing my face, drying/styling my hair, and applying the necessary lotion and makeup that is required to make me look mostly presentable in the professional workplace. I gather my belongings, pack a breakfast and head to the office.

I’m not necessarily singing with the birds as I stroll to work, but I do enjoy getting out with the hustle and bustle of morning commuters. As much as I’d love to lounge on the couch in my robe sipping coffee for the first few hours of my day, there is something that feels good about walking amongst the crowded streets and skyscrapers while sidestepping the constant stream of cyclists weaving their way through the already congested streets.

I feel like I have a purpose, I feel like I matter, and I feel like this is how it will always be for me.

But after this week, I no longer have to wake up to an alarm. I won’t have to make sure what I’m wearing is properly pressed or accessorized. I can eat my breakfast at home and take a few minutes to read the news online. My day won’t be dictated by meetings and deadlines and last minute projects that my manager throws on my desk at 4pm.

At first, this new routine sounds like a real dream to me. But I can’t help but wonder if I’m going to miss my old life. Am I ever going to being part of the downtown corporate crowd making my way through the sun, rain, snow, darkness trying to get to work on time? Will I ever have to run between those two blocks to ensure I catch the light before it turns red? Will I ever have to dodge those people in white t-shirts standing at every corner of the intersection trying to get me to sign up for the latest gadget they have to offer?

Perhaps yes and perhaps no. I guess I’ll just make an effort to enjoy next few days of professional life while I they last.

No comments:

Post a Comment